The best movies of 2011 so far….
Not that I’ve seen all that many this year.
Here’s my top 5 (half a top 10 for half a year):
- Win Win – Great indie comedy with Paul Giamatti
- Super 8 – E.T. bangs Cloverfield, makes this – awesome
- Hanna – Tense, fluid, cinematic. No love for The Chemical Brothers score? Much better than what Daft Punk did for Tron: Legacy.
- X-Men: First Class – Surprised me. Kind of like the J.J. Abrams Star Trek reboot from a few summers ago. Fun.
- Source Code – A modern, Twilight Zone inspired thriller. Puts stand-up comedy in a great light, too. You have to see it to understand.
Honorable mention to the comedies Cedar Rapids, Bridesmaids and, go ahead and hate me, The Hangover II.
My top 10 movies (and those of MetroTimes critic Corey Hall) can be heard on episode #54 of Joel Radio which you can access by clicking here.